sunnuntai 9. lokakuuta 2011

Cloudbusting2-33


Lately I have wondered about the angry senior citizens. Not the fact that they are angry, because there is nothing wrong with that. It's just that I often see them in the large grocery store of the mall at saturday noon. It's the time when the store is absolutely full of customers. Every parking lot space is crammed with large family wagon- and SUV-cars. There are small crying kids running and playing everywhere and all the cash registers have long cues. The parents are mostly easy with that since that is pretty much the only time of the week when they can properly spend time at the store and get everything they need. Then there are these angry retired senior citizens who are frustrated that the cue takes so long and it's crowded everywhere. Sometimes they even yell how stupid it is that they can't pay their few items fast. I just wonder why they come there at saturday noon? They could come there any time of the week and get the huge store almost all to themselves. Even at sunday 3pm it's quite easy to shop now that the shops are open all sunday. So why go there at saturday noon?

I would like to shop, say, at tuesday 10am. I don't even know what that feels like since I haven't had any time out during ordinary weekdays between 8am and 4am in the last 11 years. In the monetary situation that I have I won't probably see the light of the ordinary weekday until it's 2030 or something. Maybe there has been a few days in the summer but that doesn't count as summer is unordinary time of the year. I would feel like a king walking the aisles all by myself at tuesday 10am...or would I? Would it be creepy to be there in the huge store by myself? All surveillance cameras and store detectives looking at me. Maybe even some salesman would try to give me some advice and, god forbid, interact with me somehow. Trying to sell me these incredible new bananas or yoghurt or something. Simply because I was one of the few people around. I would like to be more free somehow to shop whenever I want but would that freedom only make me angry like those angry senior citizens? Do they come there at saturday noon just to see other people, even if it's all a bit too much and it makes them angry?


6 kommenttia:

  1. The end of your text brought in my mind Eleanor Rigby's lyrics: I look at all the lonely people.

    I have the opportunity to walk at malls and the center of Helsinki any time I want. The mornings have a special feeling. I just stroll lazily and look all the people, nowadays a takeaway coffee in their hands, running to work. In a moment the streets will be almost empty.
    I love the city at that moment.

    I never go to malls or shopping on Saturdays. My nerves won't allow me to do that ;)

    VastaaPoista
  2. First of all, that's a gorgeous capture, I love the bird in flight! As for old people shopping on the busiest day of the week -- I have no idea what makes them do it??? Whatever, it's dumb!! I can say that because I am one of those old people, but I don't shop on weekends! Never would unless I was really desperate!

    Always great to your post/photos for the day, Pietari! Hope you and your family are doing well! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    VastaaPoista
  3. I'm glad to leave a comment on one of my blogs, I have known your work is fabulous! A greeting and see you soon!

    VastaaPoista
  4. I love your photo of the bird in flight! It looks as if he's coming to land on you.

    What you write about grumpy older people is very interesting. I was just having a conversation this afternoon about retired people. My friend said they are commonly grumpy, and I said, I know a lot of incredible older people (mostly through my church) who are inspirational to me because despite facing severe situations such as going blind or having cancer, they don't complain. We decided that old people are just people - some complain and some don't.

    Why anyone would go shopping during the busy times on Saturday if they had another option is a complete mystery. Unless they liked complaining.

    VastaaPoista
  5. Cool capture of the clouds.
    May be they can make a special line for senior citizens.

    VastaaPoista
  6. yes, we have a deep-rooted desire for freedom - the old dream of flying. I love to watch these masters of the air, their magnificent serenity and yet constantly in search of food ...

    fascinating for me is that these annoying old people do all over the world the same ... we will do it in 20 or 30 years - because we are lonely and just on Saturday is the busiest ...? I hope so much that I'm not angry grandma. I will now start practicing with it ....

    warm hugs and a smile
    isabella

    VastaaPoista